Active Museum History
The State of Connecticut purchased The Prudence Crandall Museum property in 1969. The Museum formally opened to the public in May of 1984. Since then, this National Historic Landmark has hosted visitors from all 50 states and visitors from as far away as Israel and Cambodia. The Museum gives tours, organizes changing exhibits, hosts a variety of public programs, and has a small research library for in-
The Museum is the actual house where Prudence conducted her academy. A historically-rich area surrounds the Museum including the homes of her supporters and detractors, and the church, all of which played such an important part in her story. The wide and beautiful Quinebaug River, a favorite spot for Crandall’s students to visit on an afternoon away from their studies, is only a half mile away.
In addition to the Crandall Academy making a place for history re-visited, Route 169 is a designated scenic highway. Stone walls, open and rolling fields, and woodlands help us re-imagine the world of Prudence Crandall and her students.
Map of Connecticut circa 1820